The Registry is the engine room that provides the synergy that enables the institution to move forward on short and long term basis. This is done through the provision of support services for teaching, research and the management activities of the institution on a day-to-day basis. On a longer term basis, it assists in building a reservoir of institutional memory, the formulation and interpretation of policies, rules and regulations of the University. It provides support services that are crucial in the day-to-day running of the University and the achievement of the ultimate goals of the institution.
1. ROLE OF THE REGISTRY IN UNIVERSITY
The Registry in a University is an important arm of University administration. Often, it is headed by a Registrar whose functions are defined by University statue. In the case of the University of The Gambia, the functions of the Registry Department can be deduced from the function assigned by the UTG Act of 1999 to the Registrar, section 14 (a) which states, inter alia, that the Registrar “ shall assist the Vice-Chancellor in the Administration of the University”. This implies both the academic and general administrative functions of the Vice-Chancellor. Such functions would therefore include the following:
- Academic Policy- enforcement and ensuring adherence to University academic policy.
- Advice and support to the Vice-Chancellor on the day-to-day running of the University;
- Management of student academic records, ensuring integrity of student data, processing of student transcript.
- Managing academic calendar and University Catalogue.
- Provision of secretarial services to the numerous standing and ad hoc committees of the University.
- Involvement in the running of workshops, seminars and conferences.
- Industrial relations work of the University
- Appeals and Complaints from Students
- Master of ceremony at graduation ceremonies.
2. ORGANIZATION OF THE REGISTRY
The University of The Gambia Registry was established in November, 2000. It is headed by the Registrar. Its structure includes the Registrar's Office, Council Secretariat, Senate Matters Unit, Transcript and timetabling unit and Faculties Administration. These various administrative structures are manned by officers of varying ranks and seniority ranging from Administrative Assistant to Senior Assistant Registrar and up to Registrar at the apex.